Aircraft Simulation Engineer
Talyn is looking to expand the team in pursuit of a vision to reshape aerial transportation. We are developing long-range electric vertical take-off and landing (eVTOL) aircraft for passengers and cargo. While there are many other companies in this space, they have a maximum achievable battery electric range of sub 100 miles. Talyn can achieve at least 3X the range at over 300 miles, using the same battery tech, and can fly at meaningfully fast cruise speeds. We achieve this by using our staged aircraft architecture which includes a very efficient electric fixed wing aircraft that can be released and caught mid-air with our separable VTOL vehicle. An animation of the system can be seen at www.talyn.com.
We are currently flying subscale prototypes and look forward to tackling the hard challenge of making mid-air separation and docking of aircraft a reliable reality by building a team of dedicated experts to help enable its success across multiple market segments.
We are looking for an engineer to design, develop, and implement dynamic simulations of our aircraft architecture for use in software & hardware in the loop testing. The candidate will code and have full responsibility over the creation and deployment of these simulations, which include 6DOF vehicle dynamics, trajectory generation, sensor modeling, implementation of guidance and control algorithms, as well as the anchoring of these simulations through the creation and execution of ground and flight tests. The hardware in the loop simulations will require actuation on test stands, recording/post-processing test data, and interfacing with flight vehicle software. As Talyn is a startup, you should expect to wear many hats while working on the full stack vehicle system and simulation infrastructure, as well as all aspects of the business as desired and needed.
• Ability to balance subject precedence with first principles reasoning
• Self-starter with ability to quickly learn new skills as required to solve problems
• Ability to clearly communicate technical issues to a broad audience of different technical backgrounds
• Ability to foster and maintain a positive and enjoyable working environment for themselves and the team
• Ability to work effectively in a high paced, dynamic environment
• Proficiency in C++/Python with MATLAB/Simulink preferred
• Experience simulating aircraft dynamics
• Familiarity with the implementation of trajectories, sensor models, and stability algorithms preferred
• Experience with hardware in the loop testing preferred
• Familiarity with computer networking and vehicle communication busses preferred
• US citizen or permanent resident required